This month marks the 15th annual National Day of the American Cowboy celebration in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District. The event, Saturday, July 24th, is listed as one of the top 5 best places to commemorate the day by American Cowboy Magazine. NDAC is a community-wide celebration of the cowboy and our Western heritage.
The celebration starts at 10 a.m. and continues until 8 p.m. It is a free family event that features chuck wagon cowboy poetry, armadillo races, and featured contests which include Riscky’s BBQ rib eating, cow milking, longest mustache and most worn (out) boots, all taking place along Exchange Avenue, the lawn of the Fort Worth Livestock Exchange Building, Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, John Wayne Museum, and the Cowtown Coliseum. All this is in addition to the twice-daily cattle drive at 11:30 a.m. & 4 p.m., and a special cowboy celebration parade immediately after the 11:30 a.m. cattle drive. Celebrate the history and heritage of the American Cowboy at an event that gives families and visitors the opportunity to experience and appreciate the role cowboys and cowgirls of all ethnicities have played and continue to play in everyday life.
When you have finished taking your shot at all the contests, stick around and enjoy the many shops, restaurants, and activities in the Fort Worth Stockyards.
WHEN: Saturday, July 24, 2021, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Parade is at 11:30 a.m.
WHERE: East Exchange Avenue in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District
WHY: The Fort Worth Stockyards National Day of The American Cowboy is not only great entertainment but is also an educational event for people of all ages. Western authenticity for the entire weekend strengthens Fort Worth’s claim to some of the best Western heritage festivals in the country.
• The Stockyards Championship Rodeo at 7:30 p.m. inside Cowtown Coliseum
• Billy Bob’s Texas: Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen: Hold My Beer & Watch This Tour – 10 p.m.
• Horseback Riding, Stagecoach rides, & Petting Corral
• Pony Rides, Mechanical Bull Rides, & Mini Train Rides
• Grapevine Vintage Railroad – Trinity River Excursion
• Cowtown Cattlepen Maze
• Historic Walking Tours
• Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, John Wayne Museum, & Stockyards Museum
Thanks in part to the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District, Stockyards Heritage Development Co., Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, Cowtown Coliseum, the Fort Worth Stockyards Business Association and the Fort Worth Herd for bringing this event to life and their continuous efforts to preserve our Western heritage.
For additional information, please visit www.fortworthstockyards.org or call 817-625-9715.
National Day of the American Cowboy Schedule – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Live Music on Stage
• Fiddle Contest
• Chuck Wagon Cowboy Poetry
• APHA Calf Roping Training & Stick Horse Races
• Face Painting at three different stations
• Riscky’s Rib Eating Contest -11 a.m. Finals at noon. $10 Entry at the Door. 30 Participants max. First come, first serve.
• Cow Milking Contest – whoever milks a cow the fastest wins a prize!
• Armadillo Races - race live armadillos tournament-style without using their hands.
• Comedy Gunfight Shows
• Cowboy Celebration Parade at 11:30 a.m. immediately following the Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive
• Fort Worth Herd Cattle Drive – 11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Behind the Scenes with the Fort Worth Herd
*All contest winners will be announced at the conclusion of their contest. Must be present to win prizes.